Sunday 26 September 2010

Little quotes that aren't too abrasive.

I stumbled upon a nice website of atheist quotes today,
and I don't mean in a beat-Christianity-into-the-ground sort of website, either.

An Atheist believes that a hospital should be built instead of a church. An Atheist believes that a deed must be done instead of a prayer said. An Atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into death. He wants disease conquered, poverty vanished, war eliminated. --Madalyn Murray O'Hair

My own journey into Atheism has been relatively simple. I was never brought up with religion, but I always assumed my parents were religious and that God was real (I later found out that neither was true). I'm not trying to draw a direct comparison here, but much in the same way I never questioned the existence of Santa and the Tooth Fairy, I never questioned the existence of God.

Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? --Douglas Adams

When I was 10, I started wondering if God was real. I can't remember what triggered it, or why...but I remember quite distinctly sitting at the desks in the Y5 classroom (Beautiful old desks with inkwells and that lifted up so you could stick your posters inside the lid. They sold them off for a tenner each.) thinking...I don't really know if God exists.

Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded. And, the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics: You are all stardust. You couldn’t be here if stars hadn’t exploded, because the elements - the carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, iron, all the things that matter for evolution and for life - weren’t created at the beginning of time. They were created in the nuclear furnaces of stars, and the only way for them to get into your body is if those stars were kind enough to explode. So, forget Jesus. The stars died so that you could be here today. --Lawrence Krauss

And the more I thought about it, the more sense it made. I'm not going to go into it, because people who insist on proving why they're atheist are so boring. And they get on my nerves. And they need to get over themselves. Suffice it to say that the flimsy defences in my RS textbook were just that- flimsy. Everything about the whole caboodle seemed flimsy. 

And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence. --Bertrand Russell

And really, that's about it. 
Emma X

P.S. All quotes found here

No comments: